Tools / Skills
WATERSHED Science & Engineering provides services to government agencies, municipalities, utilities, other engineering firms, and private citizens. Our focus is on technically and logistically challenging projects in rivers, streams, lakes, estuaries, and coastal environments. Successful completion of these projects often requires sophisticated tools or special skills such as the following:
- Hydrologic Modeling - continuous simulation or event based hydrologic modeling with HSPF, HEC-HMS, HEC-1, KCRTS, SWMM, WWHM, or other modeling packages for basin planning, dam safety or reservoir operation studies, CIP project evaluation, land development review, water rights analysis, climate change assessment, or similar projects.
- Hydraulic Modeling - steady state, unsteady 1-dimensional, or unsteady 2-dimensional hydraulic modeling with HEC-RAS, FEQ, FLO-2D, River2D, RiverFLO-2D, FESWMS, SWMM EXTRAN, or other models for restoration project design, floodplain mapping and analysis, bridge scour studies, levee assessments, sediment transport analyses, stormwater system design, culvert replacements, or similar projects.
- GIS Analyses - using ESRI ArcGIS software to develop hydrologic and hydraulic model inputs, to post-process model outputs, to prepare floodplain maps, report figures, design drawings, and similar products. We are also experienced with other pre- and post-processing modeling tools that interface with the ArcGIS software, including HEC-geoRAS and SMS.
Jeff and Larry have broad experience in the application of each of these tools, having managed hundreds of complex water resource projects in their careers. Bob is WSE's primary expert in the development of hydraulic models, and has used each of the hydraulic programs listed above on applications throughout the Pacific Northwest and elsewhere. Additional staff members at WSE are gaining hands-on experience with the "nuts and bolts" application of these sophisticated hydrologic and hydraulic modeling tools.
Our first-hand experience using these hydrologic and hydraulic modeling tools is coupled with even more experience reviewing and performing quality control and assurance on these and other models. Our goal at WSE is to use our intimate knowledge of the available tools to help you, our client, choose an approach that is right for your project. We recognize that one of the biggest benefits we can bring to a project is in defining an appropriate approach and implementing it with the utmost care and accuracy. This is the goal in every project we undertake. In addition to the application of sophisticated tools, WSE offers the following specialty services:
- Forensic Investigations - assistance with preparation for mediation, arbitration, or litigation of water resource issues including flooding problems, stormwater management, erosion hazards, sedimentation problems, water rights issues, and river navigability assessments.
- Risk-Based Analysis - risk analyses using USACE procedures for flood control projects including dams and levees. Risk based evaluations for dam safety using the Washington DOE Dam Safety guidelines.
- FEMA, LOMR, and CLOMR requests - preparation of Letter of Map Revision and Conditional Letter of Map Revision requests to FEMA for levee certifications, floodplain re-delineations, and floodway modifications, as well as preparation of technical appeals to FEMA mapping studies. WSE staff always remains current with FEMA regulations, including recent changes with regard to levees and endangered species.